Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A love poem 

They're turning the world upside down
into the hollow of a vague universe
Shady tigers prey from walls
and the crooked ceiling
Music plays from a window outside
where summer bloom contaminates 
the air.

I extinguish my breath in an ashtray
between the empty glasses
and suddenly the spotlights are upon us
they're going to close;
knees pulled up, backs against
hard wood.

You are wearing ridiculous socks,
I show my cleavage in a half open shirt
Pale chest under a pale face.
Together we're sick from the abundance
because you're a man
and I'm a woman.

Like two drunk puppets
we stumble outside
under the carnival of stars
and the happy, busy city

You are wearing your special hat
and I'm counting the falling stars.
And in your ear I whisper things
you don't want to hear anymore
but you postpone yourself
and laugh anyway.

1 comment: